What is Algae?
Most of us see the name algae and immediately think of the nasty green stuff in ponds or your home fish bowl if it isn’t cleaned properly. Things have changed for algae’s bad name its now what I like to call a supergreen that can do wonders for your health. There are a couple different kinds that have many benefits that can be a great asset to your daily diet.
But they’re green?!? I know some of you may not be thrilled by the color either. I can assure you that algae is given this rich green color due to its chlorophyll content which again is an amazing micronutrient that has been given all the hype for adding to the health benefits of these. I am going to touch on the two most popular types of algae you tend to see the most, Spirulina, and Chlorella.
- It is a blue green algae and is one of the most nutrient dense foods on the planet being exceptionally rich in B complex vitamins, beta carotene, vitamin E, Manganese, Zinc, Copper, Iron, Selenium, Calcium, Niacin, Potassium, and Magnesium.
- It has a high antioxidant activity to act against stressors to the body.
- It is also been said to reduce fatigue and immediately increase energy due to its vitamin B and Iron content.
- It also helps to protect against chronic disease, combat cell and DNA damage, and also reduce allergy symptoms.
- Known as a detoxifier in that it binds to certain metals that our bodies can contain from day to day toxins in the environment.
- A single celled green algae with a great source of vitamin A, vitamins B1,2,3,and 6, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorous, Zinc and amino acids.
- It also has a great deal of omega 3 fatty acids, in just 3g there is 100mg of the fatty acid.
- Chlorella actually has 16g of protein per only 1oz!
- This algae packs a powerful punch with its ability to detox the body by binding to metals to help release these toxins from your body.
- It is also an immune booster by increasing the immune response in your body when taken. Can help to keep your cholesterol and blood pressure in normal range.
Where can I find them?
Luckily these guys are getting more and more popular therefore you can find them in a couple of different products and forms. They come in supplement form in your local health food stores some to mention are whole foods and earth fare. They also come in powder form. Below are some of my favorite green powders:
- The Natural Citizen Greens
- Amazing Grass Beauty Greens
- Sunpotion Chlorella Powder
Some other products that contain both chlorella and spiraling are:
- Nuzest Good Greens Snack Bar
- Sunfoods Spirulina and Chlorella tablets
- Vital Proteins Spirulina Capsules
- GTs Kombucha Multi Green
- Whole Foods Sparkling Apple Cider Vinegar Supertonic in Lemon Supergreens
With all of these easy ways to incorporate these super greens there should be no problem adding them into a daily regimen to leave you feeling both enlightened and re energized!