What is it?:
Rutabaga a root vegetable is abundant in March offering a variety of health benefits as listed below. Some of you may have or have not heard of these things, they are a cruciferous vegetable that is a cross between a cabbage and turnip. Both the root and leaves can be used to make recipes. The root is used like a potato would be prepared where as the leaves are used much like spinach, swiss chard and other leafy greens.
Minerals: manganese, potassium, phosphorous, magnesium, calcium, iron, and Zinc.
Vitamins: C, E, K and some B’s
- digestive health because of their high fiber content
- boost immune system due to its high amount of Vitamin C
- improve metabolic function due to its protein content
- lower blood pressure due to its high level of potassium
- prevent certain forms of cancer
- lowers cholesterol levels
- aids in enzymatic functions due to its Zinc content
- helps build strong bones due to its blend of these minerals: calcium, zinc, magnesium,manganese, and phosphorus.
- helps with weight loss because of its lower carbohydrate content
- aids in improving eye sight
- great option for vegans because it almost provides as a complete protein
Roasted Rutabaga with Dijon Herb Dressing
- 2 small rutabagas
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1-2 tsp of sea salt
- 1-2 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano chopped
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- Preheat Oven to 400 degrees
- Peel rutabagas and cut into 2″ squares and place in a large mixing bowl
- Add all other ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and whisk together until well mixed.
- Pour mixture over rutabagas and use large spoon to ensure mixture is evenly coated on chunks.
- Spread Rutabaga onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper evenly be sure there is plenty of room between each chunk.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake in oven for 30 mins on 400 degrees. Then remove the foil and put heat to 375 and continue to bake without foil for 25mins checking and stirring them around until it is caramelized and you can put your fork through it.
- Remove from oven and Enjoy!